Operating under the non-profit umbrella of the BCLT, Bo-Gas provides our residents and visitors with the only source of gas and diesel between Mill Valley and Pt. Reyes.
The BCLT believes this is an important community service, and though we are working towards having the gas station be an income stream to support affordable housing in Bolinas, we are currently striving to break even.
In order for the Land Trust to continue to operate Bo-Gas, we need your support. Please, consider increasing the amount of gas you buy locally and help us keep the gas station open.
Down load the one page color .pdf about
Why is Gas So Expensive?
We know that the gas prices in Bolinas are expensive, but we want to explain why we must charge these rates. The prices are legitimate and required because:
• Our costs are more expensive then over the hill (locales other than Bolinas or Stinson)providers because of the delivery amount: Our providers can’t bring in the larger trucks due to our location.
• Over the hill providers sell over 100,000 gallons a month; we sell that amount in a year. The costs to run a station are fixed and our low sales mean our fixed cost result dramatically higher gas prices.
• Fixed costs include Local, State, and Federal taxes andtesting which add tens of thousands of dollars to our operating expenses
• Most gas stations make their profit by selling candy, cigarettes and sodas (sugar, nicotine and fat). Bo-Gas chooses to instead have local businesses utilize our available commercial spaces: Bobolicious Smoothie Lounge, an organic food and drink bar that is family friendly with no alcohol, Bolinas Surf Club, a hub for surfers that offers lessons and surf products, and Om Gardens, a gift shop featuring art, healing products and locally made specialty items for home and body.
• We must prepare a reserve for the expensive federally mandated improvements that will ensure a cleaner and more environmentally responsible gas station.
So –Feel good about buying gas at Bo-Gas – you can get your gas without going over the hill, and you’re helping support our community with every fill up.
Thank you for supporting Bo-Gas.
Visiting from out of town? Say thank you to Bolinas by filling up!